Google

conservatives unite

Discourses from a conservative Christian viewpoint in regards to politics, the church, world views and controversies; along with the application of the wisdom of G-d's holy word. There IS hope for a sinful and hurting world.... I believe in freedom of speech; however, please temper your language.Freedom of speech does NOT give us the right to be hateful,disrespectful or bigoted. Comments that contain cursing will be deleted! {My comments will often be enclosed when commenting on an article.}

Name:
Location: United States

Favorite composer: Debussy; Favorite artist: Monet; Favorite old author: Charles Dickens

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Facts of Life

Read the full article here: Agape Press
{conservative~by~nature's comments enclosed}

The Facts of Life in Hollywood

"I've (Lisa Whelchel) been out of the industry for over 15 years, so from my friends that are still in, they say it's much, much harder -- much tougher, much uglier," Whelchel admitted.

Until very recently, Whelchel felt as if God had abandoned Hollywood altogether.

"[But] I do feel ... that in just the last few years, from what I'm hearing and from friends, that the Lord is planting people who are making a difference in Hollywood," she said.

This is encouraging since there were very few Christians filling the roles of writers, producers, directors and actors during Whelchel's time in the industry.

"I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that it [Hollywood] is such a hostile environment to the ways of the Lord," Whelchel said. "[Only] in the last two, three years have I seen any kind of glimmer of light being able to pierce the darkness."

Therefore, Whelchel urges industry insiders to step back and take a look at the end goal of each project being produced.

"I would encourage them{Hollywood} to think about the influence -- for positive or negative -- that they are going to make and how it is going to shape the culture because it will shape the culture," she explained.


The Facts of Life as a Wise Consumer

But Whelchel is quick to admit that the emerging change in Hollywood is not totally in the hands of its insiders. "It's up to the people -- the consumers," she said.

She believes it is the responsibility of the Christian consumer to stop going to R-rated movies and to stop watching TV shows that are immoral. {If Christians are watching these shows, well, what kind of message is that sending to those who know you as a Christian? Not a very positive one! It could be said, that this makes us hypocrites! And yes, my family LOVES movies. We are guilty of this ourselves. If you want to watch a movie, it has become nearly impossible to find one that does not have any of this in it. I hate the bad language, graphic sex and violence. I will have to check out the links below.} Instead, the consumer should support family-friendly movies and programs so that Hollywood will recognize the demand for more wholesome entertainment.

"We can't put all the blame on Hollywood," Whelchel said. "They have much less power than the consumer."

Therefore, Whelchel and her husband Steve Cauble, associate pastor and director of information technologies at The Church on the Way in Los Angeles, seek to be responsible consumers by monitoring their family's media intake. Due to the family's busy schedule, none of them find much time for television. But, a family favorite in the Cauble household is old reruns of The Facts of Life that are loved by Whelchel's most loyal fans, her children -- Clancy, 13, Haven, 14, and Tucker, 15.

"As far as movies, whenever our kids want to go see a movie, I immediately go to either PluggedInOnline.com or ScreenIt.com, or both, and find out if it's something that is going to feed their spirit or their flesh," Whelchel explained. "They know I'm not going to sign off on most movies."

So the family usually waits until the movies come out on Clean Flicks, a business similar to Clean Films, a sponsor of the American Family Association. Both companies take popular Hollywood movies and professionally edit out the offensive content making the movies free of profanity, nudity, graphic violence and sexual situations.

"So we can still enjoy the story as a family," Whelchel said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the last seven years, conservative~by~nature has had tv for 20 monthes. I had Dish Network during that time period. I objected to the fact that I couldn't choose the channels I wanted coming into my home. So, I just decided until I COULD choose those channels I would save my money and do without! Although, I do miss Joan of Arcadia......

Top of Page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home